Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sunday Lovin -

Not THAT kind of Sunday lovin....well, maybe it should be **snort snort** Anyway, the Milk Man took me on a cycle ride on Sunday - Have I ever mentioned he's a biker dude...no - ok well he's a HOT BIKER DUDE!!! His chaps are a bit differant than a cowboys, but JUST as tasty, I mean functional....ya functional. I am going to be wrighting daily from now on - What do you mean I have said this before - oh pishposh, you must be thinking of someone else *snicker* - BUT, I want to write about the things I love and biking is one of those. Now, I dont mean biking like this....



The first thought I have when I see those is - get a motor on that thing you poor bugger...

No, I mean THIS type of biking...


MM and I try to go every other Sunday for a couple of hours - when we can get someone to watch the passle of kids we have spawned...brats the lot of them... BUT, in honesty we get to go MAYBE once a month. When we do go, its just for a short jaunt - but it really helps keep us 'hooked'....
While on our rides we encounter people of all differant types... ones who wave, ones who scoul and shake their heads - biker trash ya know - ones who try to get as close as they can to you with their car and then pull up next to you talking on their cell phone and weaving back and forth in the lane they are in... Those people, are MORONS.. sorry - its a fact... NOW, one of the reasons I am writing this is because there is SUCH a sterotype about bikers in general.. When I was little living on the farm we would make a trip to town MAYBE 1 every two weeks and that was a town of less than 500 - when we went to the Big Town (it was less than 8000) we were culture shocked EVERY TIME WE WENT - at least I was.. My folks or grandparents took us to Big Town once every 3-4 months and that was mostly to get clothing becuase we needed it and to stock up on 'sale' items that the grocerys stores had.... gosh, I am getting way to long winded, but you know that by now right.. ANYWAY - the reason I bring that up is because when we would go to town, we would sometimes see Bikers... My brother and I were SURE that they were Hells Angesl because ONLY Hells Angels road Harleys... No one BUT Hells Angels road motorcycles and if you rode a bike - you were 'bad'... LOL that is so funny to me now because knowing the people that I do who bike, they are the FIRST ones that would stop to help an old lady on the side of the road, they are the FIRST ones that would stop at an accident and see if they are needed, they are the FIRST ones to donate their time for local charity's etc. There are tons of 'rides' that go on around here for charitys etc.... yet they are a scorned group of people - what a bad sterotype. Bikers have a 'code' that they follow on and off the road...

1. Always wave at another biker - no matter what they are riding they are your commrade.

2. Watch out for each other. There can never be to many eyes looking out for each other on the road.

3. Be a good citizen because it reflects on the rest of us.

4. Be safe and have a good time...

#2 is VERY important. So many people dont see bikes and dont care if they do. When I say there is a 'stigma' about bikers - there is.. the first thing ya think of is topless bimbo's at Sturgis.. Right???? Or the biker that picked a fight in a bar and beat the crap out of a bunch of people... Well, let me tell you there is SO much more to people who ride cycle's than that.
I am bringing this all up because I have a favor to ask anyone who reads my blog to WATCH FOR MOTORCYCLES... To be more aware of what they need to do while riding and to GIVE THEM ROOM!!! Just because they are small, doesnt mean they need less time to stop or less room to move over - it means that if they dont have enough room and get hit - they will be hurt beyond repair or dead - helmet or not.... The other reason I am bringing this up, is because on Sunday - I was almost hit... we were on a2 lane highway that had a third lane coming up as an on ramp. There was a truck coming up that ramp and didnt even look to see if there was anyone coming. I started to down shift and was watching in my left lane to see if I could get over before he got to me, but there were cars that WOULD NOT LET ME IN!!!! The Milk Man was right behind me and when I looked in my rear side mirror I could see he was worried...there was NO WHERE TO GO! 2 of the cars to my left sped by - on their phones.. oh How I wanted to grab those phones and beat them with them.. OH I MEAN - I wanted to make them pay attention!!! sure pay attention, thats it... anyway - as we went along this guy kept coming and was NOT LOOKING for any vehicles let alone a bike. When I wasy there was no where to go I MEAN NO WHERE - if you are ever in a situation to give a bike some room, please do it - give them lots of space to get out of your way and anyone elses... As this guy got closer, 2 differant cars moved in on the left and totally boxed me in - then the guy started into my lane - he did put his blinker on, but never looked... This all happened in about 7 seconds. The 2 cars that were on my left could have either sped up or dropped back to give me a way out - but didnt... When i tell you I was 14 inches from the trucks bumper please know I am as serious as a heart attack... He didnt see me till I was looking at him in his side mirror, then he about crapped his pants. No, he was NOT an 'older' man - he was someone who knew better and should have been more attentive. I sure hope no one thinks I am making myself sound like the best driver in the world who always does the right thing cuz I am not, BUT I do pay attention and make sure I drive safely so that I dont put someone else in danger.

Well guys, I hope I havent over loaded you at this point, but I really needed to get that off my chest. Most people who ride love to ride for the sake of feeling free for a little while - I cant speak for the speed bikes however - One other thing if you see a biker dressed in all leather - with or without a helmet - they probably NOT Hells Angels.... Oh - and if they are wearing a 'skull cap' its to shear the wind and save the hair that they have left, if they are going bald... ya know...

later....man....

15 comments:

LDF said...

That must have been really scary, Heidi! You're so right ... bikers are usually just good folks. Stereotyping is wrong. Hope you get more safe rides in over the summer.

Glen Moulton said...

Yes, please be careful.

And for sharing your story..... sooo glad you are here to tell about it.

To many more miles on the bike.

Mrs. Mom said...

Dude. First, you are still here, so we don't have to round up a posse and hunt people down.

Second, you are still here, so you can make some major PSA's about this! ;)

Third, you are still here, so we can expect to hear sometime about Bouncing Baby Number Six to come along, right? HA~ ;)

Love ya sista- be safe out there.

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

You are so right about the 'stero typing' of motorcycle riders. Another prime example of stories getting blown way out of porportion - and the few making a bad name for the many. SAD!!!
I have also found a lot of truth/instances to back up your claims about them being the first to .... Not all poor peolpe are "white trash", and not all bikers are the 'ole style "Hell's angels"!!
Keep on bikin girl ;-}
Oh, and keep on postin!! I'm enjoying getting to know you =>

Lisa said...

OMG i would have peed and had to pull over.
Just today I was riding in to work (yes, I ride too!) and I was buzzing along and a MAIL TRUCK pulled out in front of me (left turn) and then took an immediate right. Fortunately I was going the appropriate speed and could slow down. If I weren't I may have tried to scoot around the right which would have gotten me killed because he then took that right with no blinker.
I would have nailed him broad side to get away from him!!

I totally agree, please get off your freaking cell phones and drive.

Lisa said...

(in response to your post in my blog) I have been following you a while now. I seriously was nervous when I read this entry .I dont know how i would have dealt with this being a fairly new rider.

Sadie said...

My dad was a "biker" and almost got killed when someone hit him. broke nearly every bone on the left side of his body, from his cheek bone, down to bones in his feet! Scary stuff man...we always watch out super close for people on bikes! And you know, I never have ridden on one, lol I want too, but I am chicken :)

WudWerkr said...

The Coffeeman rode motorcycles all his life until about 5 yrs ago , momma needed new kitchen cabinets and daddy didnt need the bike anymore , so u do the math . However , i have been where you were and have met those people , most arnt bad people they are just to distracted to be driving , and thats what gets bike riders killed . I have many times had to override my desire to drag a guy through the vent widow of his car because he was a moron . Im glad your ok , and i know the Milkman checked all your pieces and parts when he got home to make sure *snicker* Be safe lil sis

Karen Deborah said...

lawd have mercy. If somethin happened to you because someone else was being an IDIOT we might have to form a lynching gang. I almost crapped my pants but then you were writing and you didn't say anything about the hospital.
My brother the lieutenant commander has a HARLEY, he is the long arm of the law.
My kids would die and go to heaven on the spot to have a ride, specially Heather,

the only thing I have against motorcycles are the idiots that swerve in around you and zoom by scarring the BEEJEEEZUS out of you. Yeah a little heart attack.
But now I know how calm and mild mannered you and the MM are, you would never ever do a RUDE thing like that!

MM should wear a bazooka for the next guy that tries to drive you off the road.. and shoot his dadgum tires out!

I got two words for you; COUNTRY ROADS

BJ said...

I'm so glad to hear you're ok and we can look forward to more of your posts! My hubby is a truck driver and has been for over 35 years...(I'm just a young thing though...right...ha ha). Anyway, last week I rode with him for several days, and was amazed at the things I could see people in their cars doing. Almost everyone is on a cell phone, of course...some of them texting while they're driving. One gal was putting on her makeup, literally...one guy was reading a book...lots of people eating on the freeway, not to mention drinking out of suspicious looking containers. And you're right - no one EVER yields to a vehicle on the freeway, no matter how big or small it is.

Heidi said...

OH BJ!!! I have GOT to tell you that the truckers are our best friends!!! THEY look out for us - and more than once I have had a trucker 'help me out' of a bad situation....they know what its like and how hard being a safe driver can be! Thank your husband for me for the rest of his breed would you!!! Truckers are AWSOME people.... thanks for stopping by!!!

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

Glad your ok...your right the truckers always are watching out for us... I try to stay of the big two lane roads and stick to the backish roads, but it can be hard because we still beleive it or not have a lot of dirt roads here. I love to ride because I just love the wind in my face... and people, bikers rarely smile because nobody likes bugs in their teeth...really!

Jody Blue said...

What a sinking feeling as I read this. Our church has a motorcycle ministry, my husband wants to get a bike so he can "minister" --yea right, I'm not falling for it yet! Be safe! small town w/ dirt Galesville

Maui Mamma said...

Glad u are ok. I think the phone thing does keep people from paying attention even more. I am probabally the worst at it. Good thing that I never never text, nurse the baby, drive and open a candy for the kids at the same time. (uhh, yea never never)

Ye Merrie Quilter said...

When I first met my DH, he was riding a motorcycle on good weather days (and Seattle has its fair share of BAD weather days, so you can guess how much it just stayed under cover). He got me a good helmet and took me riding a few times, and I tell ya, I have never looked sideways at a biker since. I give them ample room and always look out for them on the road. There's nothing like being a biker chick to give you more awareness--especially when you're nearly t-boned at an intersection. He since sold the bike and has considered getting a new one but is feeling a little too *mortal*. :)
Have fun!