Saturday, July 18, 2009

Ed Freeman...an American Hero

I got this email tonight and had to post this to my blog.. whoever started this email and whoever the picture belongs to - please for give me for using it without permission. When I start to read things like this, my heart aches with pride for them and hurt that they are not remembered nor acknowledged for what they have done for us. It angers me so badly that young kids - not including mine - don't give a crap about WWII/Vietnam/Korea etc. They are NOT taught the worth of these people, nor do they learn from the experiences that these wars brought. I wrote about Michael Jackson and now feel horrible that I don't take more care in honoring those who TRULY deserve it - SO this is just the beginning, I want to try to honor those who have served when I can.

This is how we can know the depths of Gods love for us, by seeing it in other people. This man showed his love for his fellow man in such a way that I cant even describe. When I read this, I literally sobbed.... If there were some way that I could personally thank these men - I would do it in a heart beat...

This was the email..

Michael Jackson dies and it’s 24/7 news coverage. A real American hero dies and not a mention of it in the news. The media has no honor and God is watching

Ed Freeman

You're a 19-year-old kid. You're critically wounded and dying in the jungle in the Ia Drang Valley , 11-14-1965, LZ X-ray, Vietnam . Your infantry unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense, from 100 or 200 yards away, that your own Infantry Commander has ordered the MediVac helicopters to stop coming in. You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns, and you know you're not getting out. Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away and you'll never see them again. As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day. Then, over the machine gun noise, you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter and you look up to see an unarmed Huey, but it doesn't seem real because no Medi-Vac markings are on it. Ed Freeman is coming for you. He's not Medi-Vac, so it's not his job, but he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire, after the Medi-Vacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway. And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire as they load 2 or 3 of you on board. Then he flies you up and out, through the gunfire to the doc tors and nurses. And he kept coming back, 13 more times, and took about 30 of you and your buddies out, who would never have gotten out.















Medal of Honor Recipient Ed Freeman died on Wednesday, June 25th, 2009, at the age of 80, in Boise , ID. May God rest his soul.
Medal of Honor Winner Ed Freeman! Since the media didn't give him the coverage he deserves, send this to every red-blooded American you know.
THANKS AGAIN, ED, FOR WHAT YOU DID FOR OUR COUNTRY. RIP

10 comments:

Suzanne said...

Amen sister. Thankfully there was a real hero like Ed Freeman to save those boys when they were in the jaws of death. Vietnam was a nightmare. My friends went there to die and those that came back were pretty messed up for years.

God Bless Ed Freeman for putting himself at risk to save others.

A World War II hero just recently died to zero acknowledgment by the media.

- Suzanne

Anonymous said...

amen amen... well done
gp

Heide said...

I agree. Even better than forwarding this is finding veterans in your area who are still alive and thanking them while we have the chance. The best thing we can do for these men and women is to listen to their stories. Not only is it cathartic for them to unload and know that someone else cares about their stories and what they lived through, but it reminds us about all we have to be grateful for. Cheers!

Patty said...

I agree we do have our priorities all wrong in this country. We have a tendency to honor foolishness and then the media beats it to death. They make fun of our children because they don't know anything about American History but they are not taught American History... more emphasis is placed on world cultures, while that is important our history is too. We live in one of the greatest countries in the world and we fail to appreciate it. Thank you for reminding us.

LDF said...

Well said, Heidi. One of our projects at my work right now is recording our community's pioneers' stories. So many unsung heroes up here in Canada (eh?) too!

Greenmare said...

oh yes, thank you for posting that.
my dad served in Korea and sometimes it seems people don't even remember that one at all. There are so many real heros, if we only got the chance to read about them more often, thank you

Tina Marie the Willow Witch said...

I cryed... you know where I stand coming from a military family... thanks for spreading the word on this wonderful man...

Faithful said...

I have seen this travel around as an email and it humbled me then. Wow! Did this man live up to his name, his family should be proud to share his name. Thank you, Ed Freeman, you were an angel from heaven. Thank you for helping to keep his story alive.

Brian + Cheryl B. said...

WONDERFUL post!!! When I see somebody wearing a military hat, instead of just giving them my usual greeting of a smile, I love to also ask them, "Sir, what branch of the military did you serve in?" It often sets them back. But after they answer, I respond with, "THANK-YOU for your sacrafice in making this nation safe for the rest of us!!" And I mean it!! And both of us walk away grinning ear to ear, but teary eyed ;-}
www.xanga.com/thehousethatlovebuilt

Jody Blue said...

Thanks for sharing!! We are a blessed nation because men like this know that you have to fight and sacrifice to make it happen!